The Vision Zero Network seeks a dynamic and highly motivated individual to help advance, measure, and maintain meaningful Vision Zero commitments and actions across the nation.
The Policy & Communications Director will report directly to and work closely with the Executive Director in the areas of strategy, program management, communications, policy development, research, partnership building, fundraising, and administration.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in most or all of the following areas: policy development, communications, transportation planning, local government, public health, advocacy, and social equity. The Policy & Communications Director will be responsible for helping to build and maintain strong partnerships and coalitions with other individuals and organizations, so experience in collaborative work models is a plus.
About the Vision Zero Network
We are a collaborative campaign aimed at advancing Vision Zero – the goal of zero traffic fatalities and severe injuries among all road users. We believe this is an opportunity to make a transformative societal shift toward safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all.
Focusing initially on U.S. cities demonstrating commitment and potential, the Network is bringing together local leaders in health, traffic engineering, law enforcement, policy, community advocacy, and the private sector to develop and share winning strategies and to support strong, distributed leadership for policies and practices that make Vision Zero a reality.
The Vision Zero Network is a fiscally sponsored project of Community Initiatives, a 501c3 nonprofit organization.
Policy & Communications Director Primary Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to set priorities and carry out programs, including management of the Vision Zero Focus Cities and Emerging Cities programs;
- Lead communications and the dissemination of information, including writing case studies, newsletters, blog posts, website updates, social media, reports, and other public-facing outreach;
- Help organize and facilitate virtual and in-person networking of Vision Zero stakeholders and partners via webinars, calls, in-person meetings and other gatherings;
- Actively engage with and support government staff, community advocates, and thought leaders interested in advancing Vision Zero;
- Manage, conduct and support research efforts around traffic safety, Vision Zero and related topics;
- Contribute to effective systems to track organizational progress and evaluate program components, to measure success that can be effectively communicated;
- Support fundraising efforts;
- Serve as a public-facing representative of the organization at events;
- Assist with administrative and IT tasks;
- Develop and manage internship program;
- Additional responsibilities to be identified, as the program evolves.
- Demonstrated knowledge and relevant experience in the fields of transportation, government, policy, and advocacy;
- Proven history of engaging with and positively impacting diverse communities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong time-management skills, with the ability to meet goals and deadlines while working independently;
- Self-starter who shows initiative and is eager to advance Vision Zero;
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task;
- Detail-oriented and extremely well-organized;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build trust and maintain relationships with partners across the country;
- Adept with social media and web-based outreach tools;
- Knowledge of and experience with building organizational networks for social impact;
- Commitment to building a more equitable transportation system;
- Commitment to organizing people to achieve change.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits package based on experience.
Hours: Full-time position
Location: Anywhere in the USA – provide your own office
Hiring Timeline: Applications will be reviewed starting on December 5, 2016 and considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume as a single PDF attachment via email to Leah Shahum at email@example.com with “Policy & Communications Director” in the subject line. Receipt of your application will be acknowledged with an email reply.
The Vision Zero Network is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, and background.