Are you passionate about the cause of Vision Zero? Do you have experience in communications, policy development, and advocacy? The Vision Zero Network is hiring a Policy & Communications Director to work full-time to advance the Vision Zero cause nationwide. Accepting applications now.
Read details below and download a PDF copy here.
Hours: Full-time position
Location: USA – Remote position, provide your own office
The Vision Zero Network seeks a dynamic and highly motivated individual to help advance, measure, and maintain meaningful Vision Zero commitments and actions across the nation.
The Policy & Communications Director will report directly to and work closely with the Executive Director in the areas of strategy, program management, policy and advocacy development, communications, social media content development, research, partnership building, fundraising, and administration.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in some or all of the following areas: policy development, communications, urban planning, public health, advocacy, and social equity. The Policy & Communications Director will be responsible for helping to build and maintain strong partnerships and coalitions with other individuals and organizations, so experience in collaborative work models is a plus.
About the Vision Zero Network:
We are a collaborative campaign aimed at advancing Vision Zero – the goal of zero traffic fatalities and severe injuries among all road users. We believe this is an opportunity to make a transformative societal shift toward safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all.
The Network convenes local leaders in health, transportation planning & engineering, policy, law enforcement, advocacy, and the private sector to develop and share winning strategies and to support strong, distributed leadership for policies and practices that make Vision Zero a reality.
We are a fiscally sponsored project of Community Initiatives, a 501c3 nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA.
Policy & Communications Director Primary Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to set priorities and carry out programs, including management of the Network’s ongoing peer exchange programs of webinars, calls and in-person meetings, as well as development of resources;
- Contribute to effective systems to track organizational progress and evaluate program components, to measure success that can be effectively communicated;
- Help organize and facilitate meetings of Vision Zero stakeholders and partners;
- Actively engage with and support communities interested in advancing Vision Zero, both within government agencies and community-based-organizations;
- Develop content and messaging for communications materials, including researching and writing case studies, blogs, social media content, monthly e-News, other Vision Zero related reports, etc.;
- Manage, conduct, and support research efforts;
- Support fundraising efforts;
- Serve as a public-facing representative of the organization at national conferences and events;
- Assist with administrative tasks including management of the Network website;
- Develop and manage internship program;
- Additional responsibilities to be identified, as the program evolves.
- Demonstrated knowledge and relevant experience in the fields of sustainable transportation, urban planning and design, and advocacy;
- Proven history of engaging with and positively impacting diverse communities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong time-management skills, with the ability to meet goals and deadlines while working independently;
- Self-starter who shows initiative and is eager to advance Vision Zero;
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task;
- Detail-oriented and extremely well-organized;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build trust and maintain relationships with partners;
- Adept with social media and web-based outreach tools such as Google docs and WordPress;
- Knowledge of and experience with building organizational networks for social impact;
- Commitment to building a more equitable transportation system;
- Commitment to organizing people to achieve change.
Competitive salary based on experience.
Applications will be reviewed starting on June 4, 2018 and considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter and resume (as a single PDF attachment) via email to Leah Shahum at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy & Communications Director” in the subject line. Receipt of your application will be acknowledged with an email reply.
The Vision Zero Network is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, and background.